Wi-Fi router for the YouBroadband connection - one need to remember basics

Setting up the wifi router is now days a child's play,  but it wasn't working for me as i missed a  basic fact the my Cable modem works on PPPoE ( Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet ) 

I set up the whole thing and then expecting it to work, but as usual it does not. 
I run through the various manual of the modem and then try my luck, after few attempts i was able to connect it successfully using my 3G connection, but still my Cable internet does not work. 

I got to know from the manual how to enable logs for the wi-fi router and  then the problem is clearly visible to me. My you-broadband server is not authenticating the connection request from the wi-fi router. 

Next step was to try connecting through the Computer, and I see the authentication succeeded. Had to connect wireshark to know what is the difference. :) .. Finally after comparing it was clear it was using the MAC address, and then suddenly i remembered my Subject on Layer 2 and Layer 3 protocols.... 

MY YOU BROADBAND authenticates me using my MAC address, now i was looking at the feature set of my WI-FI modem to see if i can change the MAC address, and then i see the Feature MAC-CLONE. .. Its really a customer delight when you know that the feature you are looking for is already available for you in the product, Copy the MAC address and then reboot the router and then it starts working. 


For someone who is willing to configure the Wifi router for any of the Cable modem these are the steps.. 

A> Change the MAC address of the WIFI router to your Computer MAC address --> 

        The following command in windows would be giving you the MAC address in your command prompt -->

          C:/>ipconfig /all 
 
                  in the output you look for the physical address

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 6:        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :          Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
the physical address is the MAC address. Now look in the Wi-Fi router for the MAC clone feature and then enter the physical address as seen in the Command prompt.

B> Next in the WAN select the PPPoE, then give the user ID and password which was provided to you while connecting. 

and then press the connect the button. 

It works. :) ...



Comments

Eswar said…
Very good blog, crisp and clear.. surprised no one commented on this yet ...

Popular Posts